Friday, August 24, 2007

8 Things About My Marriage

I got this from Amie's blog. She is a blog buddy. I won some candy from her and got hooked reading her blog as she was going through a rough car accident. So now I love to check in with her and she recently did this. Thought it would be fun!

1. Where did you meet your husband?

Erick and I met at church. My sister Lucy had met Erick when he first moved into the ward and told me I needed to meet him. I wasn't going to church much then so I ignored her. She finally got me to go and I got to meet him.

2. What was the first thing you said to your husband?

Erick might remember the exact words, but it was something like: "I have something for you" I had heard from Lucy the Sleuth that he was a Star Wars fan(not that it was hard to figure out) and so I took him a Star Wars token they were giving away at Taco Bell.

3. Where was your first date? first kiss?

Well this is debatable. Our first date was out to lunch and a movie. Hunans, and Runaway Bride, with a ride around the neighborhood on Erick's motorcycle. (only time I ever rode it!!) BUT because I drove, Erick refused to classify it as a date. We had several non dates until he got his car from Utah. He took me to Takaoka for dinner, we played putt putt-I won and we have not played since!!

Our first kiss deserves its own paragraph. We went to Johnny Appleseed park to hang out at their big tank. It was well lit, honestly, There is a big ole baseball diamond right there. Calm down. So we climbed on the tank and talked. Erick wanted to help me down. So he held out his arms and kind of jumped down onto them. He caught me, but then stumbled over a small step and we tumbled into some dew damp bushes!! I got all wet and he was embarrassed. I stood up and we looked into each other's eyes... Total movie moment, I'm not kidding!!! It was a very romantic kiss!!

4. Did you have a long or short courtship/engagement?

Well short I will say. We met in June, our "first real date" was not until Oct. We were engaged Jan. 1, 2000 and married on June 20, 2000.

5. Where did you get engaged?

Memory Grove, Salt Lake City, Utah. We had dinner at the Carriage House, walked around Temple Square and shopped and went to a movie. We took a carriage ride to the grove. It was freezing but so fun and romantic. Erick had told me once that he knew how he would propose to the woman he wanted to marry, but it would have to be in Utah. A month or so later he was planning to go visit his mom for New Years. I invited myself along so that I was pretty sure I would come home engaged!! It totally worked!

6. Where did you get married?

The Chicago Temple, in Illinois on June 20, 2000. It rained that day. No photos outside. Lots of family and an awesome brunch was had afterwards!! Yummy!!

7. How did the reception go?

It was ok. Erick and I were ready to leave for our honeymoon and receptions are just stressful, but we had a lot of support and help from family so I don't think there were any "issues". Looking back though we do wish we did some things differently, but really isn't that story of most people's experiences in life?

8. How was the honeymoon?

Hm... see number 7!! There were some really awesome things! We went to Disney World and went on a Disney Cruise! We swam in the Caribbean! But I would rather take that trip now!! I would appreciate it and enjoy it so much more now!

We've had a lot of things happen in our 7 years of marriage. In the first 2 years we lost Erick's mom, bought a house and Erick changed jobs. Then in the next 4 we had 3 kids, changed jobs, and bought another house in another city. This last year has probably been a pretty rough one too, but I think we are closer as a couple than ever and there in light at the end of the tunnel and we are looking forward to the future!

1 comment:

Amie said...

thanks for sharing, Becca!

That's a great layout!