Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day



Yesterday we took Erick to the nearby Superhero Museum. Then we spent 45 minutes looking for a missing park. Don't ask. We ended up at our favorite local park, and the kids had the playground to themselves. I love that! The kids got E some superhero shirts and a new watch. Today has been a day of relaxation and fun. We played in the water hose a little, brushed the dog, and watched some movies and made cupcakes. This year we got a picture of the kids printed that we included in the fathers day cards that we sent out to the dads and granddads in our life. I also whipped up a card for Erick. I managed to make it based on a sketch contest for Paper Popsicles too. I LOVE to multitask!

Multitasking aside, I have to express my gratitude to my sweet husband. He can walk in the room and suddenly give the kids 10 different things to do. They go crazy over him. I don't blame them, I do too. He has a magnetic charm that dazzles us all and makes us giggly and happy. This morning we piled on our big bed with bouncing children wiggling all over the place. Luke stood up on the bed in his whitie tighties and said while looking at Ella, "I love you Mary James!" and web slung an invisible web on the wall and started to climb up. (spiderman/mary jane, get it?) Erick and I looked at each other and just cracked up. Yesterday was our 9 year wedding anniversary. I can't remember what Erick said to me when he proposed, but I remember the day we picked out our bed at the mattress store before we got married. We looked at a king size bed and both laid on opposite sides of it, and looked over at each other. We talked about imagining the space between us filled with children. We joked about all the space between us. The bed seemed huge! This morning I was so grateful for that huge space, because indeed the bed was full of children! I love my little family, I love my sweet husband, who endures a lot to be married to me and knows I endure all the same with him. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

I read some hilarious comics in today's paper about Father's Day. My favorite was Foxtrot. If you click on that link, it has today's comic on their home page. Sooo funny and made me think of my dad. My dad. He's awesome! I recently went to visit him for the weekend, all by myself. It was nice to have some quality time with just him. I brought back books that I snitched from my dad's library, plus some things from a few shopping excursions. When Erick saw me bust out my new sunglasses and their case, with a monogrammed R on it, he smiled and said, "you're spoiled!" He said it in an endearing way that made me feel good. Mostly, growing up, I was not spoiled by my dad. He didn't have the means to shower us with material things. What he did spoil us with was always making sure we knew he loved us. He was an endless example of how to work hard and earn your way through life. After my parents got divorced when I was 8 or 9, my dad made a point of making the time he had with his girls worthwhile. He called it 'making memories'. We took bike rides out in the country to see uncommon birds, we would go to the driving range and hit some balls, or he would play 9 holes and let me drive the cart.

My dad served in the Army during the Vietnam war. He was in Thailand when my oldest sister Victoria was born. He hurt his back while serving, and while we are very thankful that it was not in the middle of combat, the benefit is that now, that back injury is paying for my education.

My dad has had many ups and downs throughout his life. I have seen him overcome the battles of a rough childhood, the burden of not having much money, and he has always been steadfast in working, working, working to get to where he is today. And when I called him this evening to wish him a Happy Father's Day, he was there, sitting in his comfy chair, watching golf on tv. :) A much deserved break for my hard working dad.

My father in law is a wonderful man, who is always an example of how to live a good and righteous life. He is very supportive of us, and of Erick especially, and dotes on the kids in his own special way. He is always ready with loving words, encouragement, and kindness. I am so thankful for his strong example of what a father should be.

I am blessed to have many good fathers in my life, who provide many wonderful things for me and my family.

2 comments:

papertrails leaver said...

What kind words about the men in your life! Cute card with the skittles. Thanks for playing along with Paper Popsicles.

Tricia said...

you are always so complimentary about your DH and kids. How do you get to be so patient, anyway? The kids are adorable in that picture. I love the card you did that worked out for the sketch!!!!