A good bloggy friend of mine posted a great blog post this week about looking at the bright side of things. So I thought I would follow in her footsteps and share my own list of all the small and simple things in my life that I am so grateful for. Thanks for the inspiration Leslie!
First and briefly, let me share that here at our house we have some tough times at the moment. Kids are readjusting to life with daddy, Erick is not working yet, and I am the breadwinner for the time being. This can make for daily challenges that can get a person down at times.
That said, here are some things that I am so grateful for, every moment of the day!
1. Erick! Here, with us in the same house each and everyday.
2. Listening to the kids rough house with their dad.
3. I have a job! And they have been super accommodating in the last few months while I was a single mom.
4. Having family on the same street, just a few houses down. Quick runs for some milk, help moving furniture (mostly furniture they let me have or borrow), watching kids so I can run errands, they have been real lifesavers for me.
5. I finished my degree a few short months ago. Still feels awesome.
6. Luke, who makes me smile and knows how to work me over in a minute.
7. Ella, who drives me insane with her smarts, and I LOVE seeing how she does and will torment her father and I all the days of our lives!
8. Jed, who is so sweet and young, yet demands to be treated like Big Stuff...which has been my nickname for him all his little life.
9. A safe home and neighborhood and community.
10. Netflix! Laugh if you must, but it got me through many a lonely night while Erick was away, and continues to provide instant entertainment at a moments notice.
11. My iPod touch. Genius for kids at appts and meetings or long car rides to my work.
12. My sisters. For which I would be lost without. They are my soul sisters in every way. We are all different, but still the same.
13. My dad. Who has always been a Steady in my life. His lectures never falter, and his underlying message is always one and the same: He loves his girls.
14. My mother. Who has recently amazed me more than she ever has with her ability to rise above circumstance, and gets up every time she gets knocked down...and has been there for me, in her way always.
15. My stepmom, who should be declared a Saint, for she tolerates and tends to my 'under the weather' father, all the days of her life. :) And has always been there for me, when I need her, and has tolerated all us girls, at our worst and loves us still.
16. Friends, old and new, the value of a true friend never gets old, and is cherished now more than ever.
17. My sister-in-law, one in particular, who saved me from unfortunate situations this year, by giving of herself, a true gift I can never repay.
18. Sundays! I love them for their naps, but mostly for the opportunity to go to church and learn more about a faith and Gospel that I feel deeply for, and enjoy the gentle reminders of our Savior and all he has done.
19. Temples. They hold the secret to the meaning and purpose of life, and I look forward longingly to the next time I get to go.
20. Me. I finally like who I am, enjoy being me, and am sort of impressed with the path my life has followed in the past several years. I feel I am ending up at a place where my family will be challenged, tested, and then blessed beyond measure. It will all work out in the end.
"Hope is an abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill his promises to you. It is manifest in confidence, optimism, enthusiasm, and patient perseverance. It is believing and expecting that something will occur." (Preach My Gospel p. 117)