Monday, March 2, 2015

It's all just stuff.

It really is all just stuff. The things we own. The stuff we have. A little more than 4 years ago we made our crazy decision to move to Utah in our most unconventional way. Which I actually really liked. It was sort of rash and things about the move were incredibly hard. But at the time it all made sense and looking back, it still does.

Right now Erick is sitting in our garage browsing through his childhood. He is surrounded by the last of the material things that belonged to his mom. And also all the things that make up our family. Our family photos and mementos, furniture that was forgotten.

We had left it all. Left it in Indiana. We didn't intend for it to be there this long. Life happens and you get busy. Finally an opportunity came that we couldn't pass up and thanks to the help of my sweet sister and her family we got it all here. 4 years later we have finally moved to Utah.

I poked around all the stuff. I was happy to find my scrapbooks. I was actually pretty good at it! Now I want to finish. I want to take the time to pull out photos and frame them and make a house a home. No matter where we are. I was SO happy to find my amazing cabinet my brother in law made me several Christmas's ago. I already have some ideas of new ways to use it. But I grabbed what I wanted most-my box of Erick. Letters and notes and tokens of our early days.

The kids were excited to find some forgotten toys. Some they have outgrown and some they have not. They get that from their dad.

We moved here with only what fit in our cars. Crazy. We didn't bring the keepsakes and the important things-just us. But in not having our stuff I think we have been finding our family. Doing activities and making memories. And now it's like going home, only home came to us.

In the end, it's all just stuff. But it's stuff you don't want to live without.




No comments: